Q. My mother passed in March and still left me personal savings bonds that she inherited from her mother. The bonds were being completely matured so when they transferred to me, they experienced to be cashed in. Taxes were being not compensated on them so I am responsible for having to pay the tax on about $160,000 of interest. Sad to say, my spouse just explained to me she needs a divorce. What are my finest choices when it arrives to filing my taxes in the spring? If we file jointly, will I owe her cash because we will have a much larger tax monthly bill on my inheritance? Really should I file individually so it does not have an affect on her taxes? Will that considerably raise my tax invoice?

— Divorcing

A. We’re sorry to listen to about your mother and about your divorce.

It is superior that you’re commencing to believe about this tax stress now.

Less than New Jersey regulation, inheritances and gifts received from third functions keep on being the individual residence of the recipient partner, with handful of exceptions, explained Jeralyn Lawrence, a household regulation legal professional with Lawrence Regulation in Watchung.

One these kinds of exception would be if the money had been comingled, which usually means mixing separate, exempt residence with marital residence, she mentioned.

“The inherited personal savings bonds will stay exempt for so long as they are maintained individual and apart from all marital belongings,” she said.

As you mentioned, there will be tax implications from cashing out these bonds, Lawrence stated.

“Taxes generated as a consequence of submitting a joint tax return by yourself does not impression the individual nature of the inheritance alone,” she claimed. “However, the husband or wife that did not acquire the inheritance will likely receive a credit for his or her share of the taxes paid on the individual house.”

The quantity of taxes incurred as a consequence of cashing out the bonds will depend on a assortment of elements, she mentioned, so you ought to talk to an accountant and attorney who specializes in family members regulation prior to selecting regardless of whether to filing a separate or joint tax return would be much more valuable.

Electronic mail your questions to Check [email protected].

Karin Selling price Mueller writes the Bamboozled column for NJ Progress Media and is the founder of NJMoneyHelp.com. Comply with NJMoneyHelp on Twitter @NJMoneyHelp. Find NJMoneyHelp on Facebook. Indication up for NJMoneyHelp.com’s weekly e-e-newsletter.