Table of Contents
Governor Lamont Nominates Choose Joan Alexander to Supreme Courtroom, Decide Hope Seeley to Appellate Court docket, and 11 Jurists to Excellent Court
(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont now announced that he is nominating Decide Joan K. Alexander of Cromwell to provide as an associate justice of the Connecticut Supreme Courtroom Decide Hope C. Seeley of Coventry to provide as a choose of the Connecticut Appellate Court docket and 11 other jurists to serve as judges of the Connecticut Exceptional Court docket.
Decide Alexander, 59, is at the moment a decide of the Appellate Court, wherever she has served considering that 2020. Prior to that, she served as a judge of the Outstanding Court given that 2000. In addition to her courtroom obligations, she was the chief administrative judge for the Connecticut Judicial Branch’s Legal Division, chair of the Sentence Evaluation Division, and co-chair of the Judicial Media Committee. Ahead of her appointment to the bench, she served as a prosecutor with the Connecticut Division of Prison Justice. She is a graduate of Yale College and obtained her Juris Health practitioner degree from the College of Connecticut School of Law.
Choose Seeley, 58, is currently a judge of the Superior Court docket, in which she has served considering that 2013. She is an assistant administrative choose for the Judicial District of Hartford and the presiding felony decide. Prior to remaining appointed to serve in Hartford, she served as a criminal trial choose in the Windham and Tolland judicial districts. Before her appointment to the bench, she was in non-public practice and handled a broad selection of elaborate felony scenarios at the demo and appellate levels, each in condition and federal courts. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut and received her Juris Physician diploma from the College of Connecticut Faculty of Law.
Judge Alexander is currently being nominated to fill the emptiness on the Supreme Court docket that was produced previously this thirty day period when Justice Christine E. Keller took senior position. Choose Seeley is being nominated to fill the emptiness on the Appellate Court that is expected to be created on the confirmation of Judge Alexander to the Supreme Court.
“Selecting nominees to fill vacancies on our courts is one particular of the most vital duties a governor is necessary to do, and it is an honor to have the possibility to elevate these two proficient judges to the Supreme and Appellate Courts,” Governor Lamont claimed. “Judge Alexander has extra than two many years of expertise on the bench and is an extremely highly regarded member of Connecticut’s legal neighborhood. Likewise, Choose Seeley has an spectacular career dealing with criminal scenarios and will be an excellent addition to the Appellate Courtroom.”
There are at present 60 judicial vacancies on the Remarkable Courtroom. The 11 nominations to that courtroom that are becoming announced now appear in addition to 22 others that have been announced in February. All of people nominations are now pending affirmation by the point out legislature.
The Top-quality Courtroom nominations incorporate:
- Scott R. Chadwick, 59, of East Hartford: Chadwick graduated from Western New England University and received his Juris Doctor degree from the University of Connecticut School of Regulation. He is at present the probate judge for the District of East Hartford and a husband or wife with Ford & Paulekas LLP, where his apply is focused on civil litigation matters.
- Victoria W. Chavey, 55, of West Hartford: Chavey graduated from Dartmouth College and received her Juris Medical doctor degree from the Boston College College of Legislation. She is at present the operator of Chavey Legal Companies, LLC, featuring solutions as a mediator, arbitrator, and investigator. She recognized her possess apply in 2021. She commenced her vocation with two clerkships, 1st with Main Justice Peters of the Connecticut Supreme Courtroom, and then with Senior Decide Thomas J. Meskill of the Next Circuit. For the future 27 years, she practiced at Working day Pitney LLP, and then at Jackson Lewis Laptop, centered on work litigation.
- Thamar Esperance-Smith, 36, of Glastonbury: Esperance-Smith graduated from Pace College and received her Juris Medical professional diploma from the College of Connecticut College of Regulation. She is currently an assistant attorney general at the Connecticut Workplace of the Attorney Basic in the Boy or girl Assistance and Collections Section. She formerly was a team attorney at Greater Hartford Lawful Assist in the Spouse and children Regulation Device, exactly where she represented victims of domestic violence. She is at this time serving as the president-elect of the George W. Crawford Black Bar Affiliation.
- Josephine S. Graff, 46, of Glastonbury: Graff graduated from the School of the Holy Cross and acquired her Juris Doctor diploma from the College of Connecticut College of Law. She is presently an assistant attorney typical at the Connecticut Business office of the Legal professional, where she handles work circumstances on behalf of the State of Connecticut. Prior to that, she worked for non-public companies handling coverage protection situations.
- Jeanet Figueroa-Laskos, 53, of Shelton: Figueroa-Laskos graduated from the College of Connecticut and attained her Juris Medical doctor degree from the Quinnipiac University College of Law. She is presently an assistant lawyer standard at the Connecticut Workplace of the Attorney Normal in the Baby Protection Division. Prior to that, she was a distinctive deputy state’s attorney, prosecuting felony circumstances. She has served as a member of the Shopper Security Fund Committee since 2018.
- Steven D. Jacobs, 63, of New Haven: Jacobs graduated from Trinity Higher education and received his Juris Doctor diploma from the University of Pittsburgh. He is at present a companion at Jacobs & Jacobs LLC. He has practiced regulation in the state and federal courts and companies for far more than 36 decades. His follow has consisted generally of private injury, medical malpractice, and workers’ payment cases. Jacobs has also handled several felony and employment scenarios and sometimes civil rights cases.
- Brian W. Preleski, 55, of Avon: Preleski graduated from the University of Connecticut and acquired his Juris Health practitioner diploma from the College of Connecticut Faculty of Law. Given that 2011, he has served as the state’s legal professional for the Judicial District of New Britain and has worked in many capacities for the Connecticut Division of Legal Justice due to the fact 1993. Prior to his point out services, he served as an associate at the Hartford law company of Pepe & Hazard, the place he concentrated on industrial and building litigation.
- Alina Marquez-Reynolds, 56, of Fairfield: Marquez-Reynolds graduated from Georgetown College and acquired her Juris Doctor diploma from Boston Higher education Legislation School. She is now common counsel and justice initiative deputy director at the Grace Farms Foundation. She commenced her authorized vocation as an assistant district attorney in Brooklyn, New York. From 1995 to 2019, she served as an assistant United States legal professional for the District of Connecticut, the place she was accountable for investigating and prosecuting violent crimes, which include intimate husband or wife violence and human trafficking situations. She served as the district’s Violence In opposition to Women Act coordinator for her complete tenure with the U.S. Attorney’s Business, and she at this time serves on the Connecticut Coalition Towards Domestic Violence’s Fatality Critique Process Drive.
- Charles M. Stango, 52, of Waterbury: Stango graduated from the University of the Holy Cross and acquired his Juris Medical professional degree from the College of Connecticut Faculty of Regulation. He at present is the supervisory assistant state’s attorney in Milford’s GA 22. He has labored in the Connecticut Division of Legal Justice because 1998 and been assigned to criminal courts in Bridgeport and Milford. He formerly worked as an affiliate for the regulation firm of Duffy and Fasano. He is at this time the president of the Connecticut Affiliation of Prosecutors.
- Cecil J. Thomas, 40, of Coventry: Thomas graduated from Brandeis College and attained his Juris Health care provider diploma from the College of Connecticut University of Regulation. He is presently an attorney at Bigger Hartford Authorized Aid, Inc., in which he has invested his entire authorized job symbolizing small-revenue Connecticut residents, together with in demo, appellate, and class motion litigation in condition and federal courts. He is the president of the Connecticut Bar Affiliation and a earlier president of the South Asian Bar Association of Connecticut and University of Connecticut Law University Alumni Affiliation.
- David L. Zagaja, 57, of Wethersfield: Zagaja graduated from Trinity Faculty and obtained his Juris Medical doctor degree from the University of Connecticut Faculty of Law. He is now a supervisory assistant state’s legal professional with the Connecticut Division of Prison Justice and has been a prosecutor with that office considering the fact that 1996. He predominantly did litigation of really serious felony matters in the Hartford Judicial District. Prior to starting to be a prosecutor, he was an grownup probation officer for 8 yrs.